Technical, Operations & Safety Committee
ACI EUROPE’s Technical, Operations & Safety Committee (TOSC) brings together representatives of individual ACI EUROPE member airports, national airport networks, airport associations as well as equipment and other manufacturers and contractors within the role of World Business Partners (WBP).
Membership of the ACI EUROPE Technical, Operations & Safety Committee (TOSC) has been growing steadily over the last years with a majority of members regularly attending Committee meetings.
Two annual Committee meetings—in Spring and Autumn—are held each year. The meetings are scheduled for two and a half days. A meeting of the TOSC Advisory Group takes place on the morning of the first day, while a tour of the host airport focusing on issues of relevance to the Committee is usually included in the afternoon of the third day.
Meetings of the Single European Sky (SES) Steering Group and Safety Regulation Steering Group (SRSG) typically take place in the weeks preceding the TOSC meetings.
In practice the Committee fulfils 4 key roles:
- To provide a forum to meet for airport technical and operational professionals with similar (managerial) responsibilities
- To discuss issues of common interest relating to airport technical and operational matters, including safety and air traffic management
- To survey, assess and present operational practice across all technical domains at the airport through detailed surveys that take place throughout the year and are presented during the Committee meetings
- To guide the work of ACI EUROPE in Brussels (e.g. devising best practices, inputting to studies, informing ACI EUROPE positions on specific issues or regulatory proposals)
The Committee aims to be flexible and responsive. This means that meeting agendas are tailored to reflect the latest issues and challenges facing the airport sector, and as a result individual agendas can vary considerably. Input is always welcome from Committee members as to what could be discussed at each meeting.
However, a broad set of topics that are discussed often include the following:
AERODROME SAFETY RULEMAKING
- Compliance with IR 139/2014 and updates to CSs (aerodrome design) and other EASA regulatory material (e.g. OR and OPS parts AMC/GM)
- Airport certification
- EASA aerodrome developments
- ICAO Annex 14 developments
ATM & SINGLE EUROPEAN SKY
- Joint viewpoints on ATM modernisation
- SESAR Deployment and compliance with PCP regulation
- European ATM Network and NM
- Relations between airports and ANSPs
- Airport Collaborative Decision Making (A-CDM)
- Construction work and airfield renovations
- Crisis preparedness and mitigation
- Incident information, analyses and best practices
- Introduction of new aircraft types
- Ground Handling safety regulation
- Cybersecurity in airport operations
- Airports as Ground Coordinator
- Operational perspectives on slot allocation
- Technology to optimise capacity and links between the airport and airspace
AIRPORT PUNCTUALITY & EAPN MATTERS
- Remote towers
- Satellite-based systems
- Airline / airport interface
- Airframe manufacturer’s viewpoints (e.g. ARC)